Bob Cornell's Fundraising Page
I am to asking for your support for the Nation Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). NAMI is the nation’s largest grassroots metal health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness. What started as a small group of families in 1979 has grown into the nation’s leading voice on mental health. Today, NAMI is an association of thousands of people, including state organizations and local affiliates, who raise awareness and provide advocacy, education and support in communities across the United States.
NAMI is comprised almost entirely of volunteers with one thing in common – our families have been affected by a loved one with a mental illness. Many families need our help:
- 1 in 5 adults — 43.8 million people — experiences mental illness in a given year
- 1 in 5 youth experience a severe mental health condition at some point during their life
- 46% of homeless adults living in shelters have a mental illness and/or substance use disorder
- 70% of youth in juvenile justice systems have at least one mental health condition
- 60% of people with a mental illness received no mental health services in the previous year
NAMI provides many essential services, nationwide and in their local communities. In the last year alone, NAMI Southwest CT has:
- Provided seven 12-week Family to Family courses, graduating over 110 family caregivers desperate to learn about mental illness, develop coping strategies and empower them to become advocates for their family members
- Provided four 6-week NAMI Basics classes for over 60 parents and other family caregivers of children and adolescents who have developed a mental health condition
- Provided Support Groups every month in Greenwich (2 groups), Stamford (2 groups), Darien, Norwalk, Westport, New Canaan, Wilton and Ridgefield
- Sponsored Speaker events every month in Greenwich and/or Stamford
- Conducted numerous in-person and outreach services
- Supported a Crisis Hot Line
All completely free of charge to anyone who needs our support.
May is Mental Health Month and on May 18th, NAMI will conduct their one and only annual fund raiser in the form of a “Walk”. Typically, the Walks take place nationwide at each state capital but this year we are very excited to sponsor two Walks in Connecticut – one in Hartford and one right here in Fairfield County at Sherwood Island State Park.
We all participate in the Walk for different reasons; some may walk to celebrate their own recovery. Some walkers support family members or friends who live with a mental illness. Some may walk in memory of a loved one. The Walk is an important way to help fight the stigma of mental illness and raise essential funds.
This year, NAMI Connecticut has set a goal to raise $150,000 and I have set a personal goal of $1,000. I would be grateful if you would consider joining my team and donate through the link below:
And on May 18, come walk with me at Sherwood Island! Thanks!
President, NAMI Southwest CT