Want to donate by check?
Donate using the button above or mail a contribution to:
RIP Medical Debt
80 Theodore Fremd Ave.
Rye, NY 10580
Earmark your donation for this campaign by including a note or by writing "APA - PTL" in the memo line of a check.
Who Is RIP Medical Debt?
RIP Medical Debt uses donations to purchase bundled medical debt portfolios that have gone through collection agencies for months or years. Using third-party credit data providers, it targets debt incurred by people facing financial hardship, and then forgives it. On average, $1 is leveraged to abolish $100 in medical debt.
Please see the full FAQ below and visit www.ripmedicaldebt.org for more information.
RIP Medical Debt's Federal Tax ID is 47-1442997.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about your donation.
Follow Us On TwitterTweets by @RIPMedicalDebt
About this Fundraiser:
Promoting Brotherhood While Providing Advocacy and Service for the Bexar County Community
Since 1991, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. – Pi Theta Lambda Chapter, has been a progressive voice within ALPHA and the greater San Antonio area. As we commemorate 114 years of ALPHA and approach 30 years of demonstrating Brotherhood, Service and Advocacy in the Alamo City, Pi Theta Lambda Chapter has been steadfast in executing ALPHA’s Mission to leave an indelible community imprint via our altruistic endeavors.
Despite most of our community-facing activities being suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have adapted and sought alternative means to fulfill our Mission. Pi Theta Lambda Chapter has increased its volunteerism and philanthropic initiatives. We are acutely aware that many citizens of Bexar County struggled with paying their medical expenses even prior to the present global health crisis. We are even more empathetic of this challenge as many have lost employment (and benefits) or are underemployed. Too many have to make difficult decisions as to whether to secure basic necessities or avoid medical bankruptcy.
Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. – Pi Theta Lambda Chapter’s Fundraising Campaign
From December 4, 2020 through March 31, 2021, Pi Theta Lambda Chapter will campaign to raise a minimum of $10,000 in an effort to eliminate $1 million worth of medical debt. For each dollar ($1.00) donated, approximately $100.00 of medical debt in Bexar County can be forgiven. We have partnered with RIP Medical Debt to help eligible families in Bexar County to retire their medical debt. RIP Medical Debt is able to purchase debt portfolios on the medical debt marketplace below their value.
The Brothers of Pi Theta Lambda Chapter will lead by example, but we cannot do this alone. We hope that as many people of goodwill will help to support this campaign as we try to provide peace of mind to our neighbors in the Alamo City and the surrounding areas of Bexar County.
Anthony Renteria donated $520.00 to Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. - Pi Theta Lambda Chapter Campaign to Abolish Bexar County Medical Debt
Fred Regel donated $52.00 to Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. - Pi Theta Lambda Chapter Campaign to Abolish Bexar County Medical Debt
- View More Recent Activity
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is RIP Medical Debt? RIP Medical Debt (RIP) is a national 501c3 nonprofit organization with a mission to empower donors to forgive the billions of dollars in oppressive medical debt at pennies on the dollar. RIP locates, buys, and abolishes destructive medical debt for individuals, veterans, and families. Since inception in 2014, RIP has relieved more than $2 billion in medical debt for individuals across the U.S., impacting over 1.7 million individuals.
How Does RIP Medical Debt Work? RIP, working with third-party credit data providers, searches through large debt portfolios to locate accounts meeting their criteria for relief. RIP then negotiates to buy millions of dollars of this debt at a steep discount, usually a penny or less on the dollar.
Facts about Medical Debt
- 42.9 million Americans have unpaid medical bills, which creates an adverse impact on debtor patients, physicians, and hospitals (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau)
- Six in 10 of both insured and uninsured people say they have difficulty in paying other bills as a result of medical debt. Over a third were unable to pay for food, heat or housing because of medical bills. (Kaiser Family Foundation & New York Times)
- Nearly two-thirds of U.S. adults under age 65, or 116 million people, had medical bill problems or debt, went without needed care because of cost, were uninsured for a time or were underinsured — insured but had high out-of-pocket medical expenses or deductibles relative to income. (Kaiser Family Foundation & New York Times)
- Medical debt contributes to more than 60 percent of the bankruptcies in the U.S. Until satisfied, debt lingers on a person’s credit report to negatively impact their ability to buy a home, get a loan or even gain employment. (The American Journal of Medicine)
Whose unpayable medical bills does RIP forgive?
- Individuals who make less than 2 times the federal poverty level
- Individuals with financial hardship -- 5% or more of their annual income goes to out-of-pocket medical expenses
- Individuals who are insolvent (debts greater to their assets)
Why Donate to RIP Medical Debt?
- Your dollar goes a long way! On average, $1 abolishes $100 of debt.
- 100 percent of your donation goes towards abolishing medical debt.
- RIP Medical Debt is a 501c3 nonprofit organization, and our EIN number is 47-1442997. Donations are tax-deductible as allowed by law.
- There are no tax consequences for those whose medical debts are forgiven. The forgiveness is a gift from a detached and disinterested third party (RIP) is an act of generosity, so forgiveness of the does not count as being income to the gift recipient.
RIP Medical Debt's Federal Tax ID: 47-1442997
Disclaimer: In the event that a campaign is unable to meet RIP Medical Debt's local campaign contribution goal, all funds will be attributed to our national funds for general medical debt.