$5,000 goal with 2X match for a total of $15,000 raised
Want to donate by check?
Donate using the button above or mail a contribution to:
RIP Medical Debt
80 Theodore Fremd Ave.
Rye, NY 10580
Earmark your donation for this campaign by including a note or by writing "Dunnion CA" in the memo line of a check.
Follow Us On TwitterTweets by @RIPMedicalDebt
About this Fundraiser:
Medical Debt Relief for our Communities – Giving back to the communities we serve
As a personal injury law firm, Dunnion Law understands how devastating and expensive medical costs can be to our fellow Californians. For more than 45 years, we have helped recover more than $400,000,000 for our clients. However, for many individuals with serious injuries and long-term health issues, recovery and compensation may not be available. Instead, they are forced to struggle alone with the expense of their medical costs and healthcare.
Dunnion Law has always believed in the strength of our California communities and initiated this fundraising effort, in coordination with RIP Medical Debt, to begin helping Californians get their lives back. With nearly 13.3% of Californians unemployed in July (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics), Dunnion Law is determined to help affected Californians by eliminating more than $1.5 million of their medical debt.
Based on a survey from Gallup and West Health, last year Americans borrowed more than $88 billion to pay for health care. Many of these were Californians who had difficulty paying their medical and health expenses for themselves and their families. In fact, a study in the American Journal of Medicine noted that medical debt contributed to nearly 66% of all bankruptcies nationwide.
Dunnion Law’s Fundraising Campaign
Through Saturday, October 31, 2020, Dunnion Law will campaign to raise $5,000 across our communities. We will then do a 2X match of the funds raised for a total of $15,000 to eliminate $1.5 million worth of debt. For every single dollar donated, about $100 of medical debt in Monterey, Sacramento and Santa Clara Counties will be forgiven!
RIP Medical Debt will purchase these portfolios of medical debt well below their face value to help forgive the debts of qualified Californians in our communities. By eliminating $1.5 million of medical debt, individuals and families can begin to get their lives back without having to choose between putting food on the table and paying their medical bills.
We believe in giving back to our communities so for every $1 you donate, we’ll donate $2! By doing this 2X match, we hope to help reach our goal of $15,000 well before our October 31 deadline.
Who Is RIP Medical Debt?
RIP Medical Debt uses donations to purchase bundled medical debt portfolios that have gone through collection agencies for months or years. Using third-party credit data providers, it targets debt incurred by people facing financial hardship, and then forgives it. On average, $1 is leveraged to abolish $100 in medical debt.
Please see the full FAQ below and visit www.ripmedicaldebt.org for more information.
RIP Medical Debt's Federal Tax ID is 47-1442997.
Tom Fussy donated $260.00 to Dunnion Law's Campaign to Abolish $1.5 Million in Medical Debt
May Holland donated $26.00 to Dunnion Law's Campaign to Abolish $1.5 Million in Medical Debt
Eric Ngo made a donation to Dunnion Law's Campaign to Abolish $1.5 Million in Medical Debt
Elia Figueroa donated $10.00 to Dunnion Law's Campaign to Abolish $1.5 Million in Medical Debt
Emiliano Ruiz donated $10.40 to Dunnion Law's Campaign to Abolish $1.5 Million in Medical Debt
- View More Recent Activity
Who is RIP Medical Debt? RIP Medical Debt (RIP) is a national 501c3 nonprofit organization with a mission to empower donors to forgive the billions of dollars in oppressive medical debt at pennies on the dollar. RIP locates, buys, and abolishes destructive medical debt for individuals, veterans, and families. Since inception in 2014, RIP has relieved more than $2 billion in medical debt for individuals across the U.S., impacting over 1.7 million individuals.
How Does RIP Medical Debt Work? RIP, working with third-party credit data providers, searches through large debt portfolios to locate accounts meeting their criteria for relief. RIP then negotiates to buy millions of dollars of this debt at a steep discount, usually a penny or less on the dollar.
Facts about Medical Debt
- 42.9 million Americans have unpaid medical bills, which creates an adverse impact on debtor patients, physicians, and hospitals (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau)
- Six in 10 of both insured and uninsured people say they have difficulty in paying other bills as a result of medical debt. Over a third were unable to pay for food, heat or housing because of medical bills. (Kaiser Family Foundation & New York Times)
- Nearly two-thirds of U.S. adults under age 65, or 116 million people, had medical bill problems or debt, went without needed care because of cost, were uninsured for a time or were underinsured — insured but had high out-of-pocket medical expenses or deductibles relative to income. (Kaiser Family Foundation & New York Times)
- Medical debt contributes to more than 60 percent of the bankruptcies in the U.S. Until satisfied, debt lingers on a person’s credit report to negatively impact their ability to buy a home, get a loan or even gain employment. (The American Journal of Medicine)
Whose unpayable medical bills does RIP forgive?
- Individuals who make less than 2 times the federal poverty level
- Individuals with financial hardship -- 5% or more of their annual income goes to out-of-pocket medical expenses
- Individuals who are insolvent (debts greater to their assets)
Why Donate to RIP Medical Debt?
- Your dollar goes a long way! On average, $1 abolishes $100 of debt.
- 100 percent of your donation goes towards abolishing medical debt.
- RIP Medical Debt is a 501c3 nonprofit organization, and our EIN number is 47-1442997. Donations are tax-deductible as allowed by law.
- There are no tax consequences for those whose medical debts are forgiven. The forgiveness is a gift from a detached and disinterested third party (RIP) is an act of generosity, so forgiveness of the does not count as being income to the gift recipient.
RIP Medical Debt's Federal Tax ID: 47-1442997
Disclaimer: In the event that a campaign is unable to meet RIP Medical Debt's local campaign contribution goal, all funds will be attributed to our national funds for general medical debt.