- 1 Brian $10,000.00 raised
- 2 Maggie $4,880.00 raised
- 3 Jason $4,225.00 raised
- 4 Hardy $2,905.00 raised
- 5 moez $2,870.00 raised
- 6 Kathleen $2,573.77 raised
- 7 Nimisha $2,475.00 raised
- 8 Varini $1,949.00 raised
- 9 Samantha $1,610.00 raised
- 10 Stutee $1,500.00 raised
- 1 Daraja Dragons $14,014.14 raised
- 2 Team Schlaak for Daraja! $10,030.00 raised
- 3 Pirates for Daraja 2020 $9,459.00 raised
- 4 Redwood Daraja $4,141.64 raised
- 5 Maryland Sisters $2,365.00 raised
- 6 St. Ignatius College Prep Daraja Club $2,285.00 raised
- 7 Team Calia $1,360.00 raised
- 8 Daraja at Berkeley $180.00 raised
- 9 Natalie Hardy & Friends $180.00 raised
- 10 AC for DA $100.00 raised
What is Daraja?
Daraja Academy is a nonprofit high school in Kenya that saves, educates, and empowers girls from poverty. Daraja is the Swahili word for bridge. Every person who supports Daraja Academy is building a bridge of opportunity for girls from a life of poverty and powerlessness to a life of leadership and self-reliance.
Daraja girls come from all over Kenya. They represent 37 different ethnic tribes and together speak 25 languages. All of them have faced at least one of these things:
- Female Genital Mutilation
- Early marriage
- Sexual assault
- Tribal violence
Despite trauma and setbacks, each girl gave her all to finish primary school. And each girl was one of the top in her class. But without Daraja, all of them would have been forced quit school in 8th grade. Now they have a chance to break the cycle of poverty that has existed in their families and villages for generations.
Participants are paired with one of these Daraja girls. Together, they are racing 12 kilometers in their own way before May 31st. Some are running, some are walking. Some are carrying water, some are kayaking. Each participant gets their own fundraising page with their Daraja partner's story. And each page is a tribute to a girl from poverty who knows that she is valuable enough to be educated.
Asante Sana to every person who is racing with a girl or supporting a participant. You are making all the difference in the life of a girl, her family, and her community. ESPECIALLY during this difficult time when families are feeling the effects of poverty even more acutely.
Use the search bar at the top to find racers you know, or follow the progress of those on our "Event Leaderboard"—especially Daraja Founder Jason Doherty who recently lost his leg.