Want to donate by check?
Donate using the button above or mail a contribution to:
RIP Medical Debt
80 Theodore Fremd Ave.
Rye, NY 10580
Earmark your donation for this campaign by including a note or by writing "Saloni Singh" in the memo line of a check.
Who Is RIP Medical Debt?
RIP Medical Debt uses donations to purchase bundled medical debt portfolios that have gone through collection agencies for months or years. Using third-party credit data providers, it targets debt incurred by people facing financial hardship, and then forgives it. On average, $1 is leveraged to abolish $100 in medical debt.
Please see the full FAQ below and visit www.ripmedicaldebt.org for more information.
RIP Medical Debt's Federal Tax ID is 47-1442997.
Contact email@example.com if you have any questions about your donation.
About this Fundraiser:
Medical debt is a serious financial burden on adults and families in New Jersey, resulting in constant threatening calls from debt collectors and sometimes even lawsuits when left unpaid. More than 16% of adults in New Jersey had unpaid medical bills, but since the pandemic hit this debt has become an even bigger issue. Hundreds of thousands of people have had to undergo emergency treatments for the coronavirus, resulting in expensive hospital bills and on top of that, nearly 1.5 million NJ residents have lost their jobs since the pandemic started. Families have had to choose between paying their medical debt or paying for dinner, and I would like to use this campaign to help them not need to make that decision.
I am a biomedical science student at High Tech High School as well as an aspiring healthcare professional, so I want to make sure the people in my community can get necessary treatment without needing to worry about the consequences of the debt that results from it. RIP Medical Debt is a wonderful charity that is able to purchase debt for pennies on the dollar, so even a small donation can have a big impact on those in need.
Your contribution will first go towards helping those living in New Jersey before being distributed to other areas nationally.
By working together, we can eliminate half a million dollars worth of debt in New Jersey and help so many families, individuals, and members of our community who are struggling right now.
A donation was made to Saloni Singh's Campaign to Forgive $500,000 of Medical Debt!
HELEN HAUG donated $512.00 to Saloni Singh's Campaign to Forgive $500,000 of Medical Debt!
Jenifer May donated $30.72 to Saloni Singh's Campaign to Forgive $500,000 of Medical Debt!
- View More Recent Activity
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is RIP Medical Debt? RIP Medical Debt (RIP) is a national 501c3 nonprofit organization with a mission to empower donors to forgive the billions of dollars in oppressive medical debt at pennies on the dollar. RIP locates, buys, and abolishes destructive medical debt for individuals, veterans, and families. Since inception in 2014, RIP has relieved more than $2 billion in medical debt for individuals across the U.S., impacting over 1.7 million individuals.
How Does RIP Medical Debt Work? RIP, working with third-party credit data providers, searches through large debt portfolios to locate accounts meeting their criteria for relief. RIP then negotiates to buy millions of dollars of this debt at a steep discount, usually a penny or less on the dollar.
Facts about Medical Debt
- 42.9 million Americans have unpaid medical bills, which creates an adverse impact on debtor patients, physicians, and hospitals (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau)
- Six in 10 of both insured and uninsured people say they have difficulty in paying other bills as a result of medical debt. Over a third were unable to pay for food, heat or housing because of medical bills. (Kaiser Family Foundation & New York Times)
- Nearly two-thirds of U.S. adults under age 65, or 116 million people, had medical bill problems or debt, went without needed care because of cost, were uninsured for a time or were underinsured — insured but had high out-of-pocket medical expenses or deductibles relative to income. (Kaiser Family Foundation & New York Times)
- Medical debt contributes to more than 60 percent of the bankruptcies in the U.S. Until satisfied, debt lingers on a person’s credit report to negatively impact their ability to buy a home, get a loan or even gain employment. (The American Journal of Medicine)
Whose unpayable medical bills does RIP forgive?
- Individuals who make less than 2 times the federal poverty level
- Individuals with financial hardship -- 5% or more of their annual income goes to out-of-pocket medical expenses
- Individuals who are insolvent (debts greater to their assets)
Why Donate to RIP Medical Debt?
- Your dollar goes a long way! On average, $1 abolishes $100 of debt.
- 100 percent of your donation goes towards abolishing medical debt.
- RIP Medical Debt is a 501c3 nonprofit organization, and our EIN number is 47-1442997. Donations are tax-deductible as allowed by law.
- There are no tax consequences for those whose medical debts are forgiven. The forgiveness is a gift from a detached and disinterested third party (RIP) is an act of generosity, so forgiveness of the does not count as being income to the gift recipient.
RIP Medical Debt's Federal Tax ID: 47-1442997
Disclaimer: In the event that a campaign is unable to meet RIP Medical Debt's local campaign contribution goal, all funds will be attributed to our national funds for general medical debt.