Gallery Route One's 21st Annual Box Show
If you look at a plain wooden box and don’t see a blank canvas, that’s about to change. A San Francisco Bay Area tradition, THE BOX SHOW™ is an annual showcase of the inventive and ingenious ways transcendent works of art can emerge from the simple starting point of a plain wooden box.
In 1999, Gallery Route One gave wooden boxes to local artists to create anything they wished. Twenty-one years later, THE BOX SHOW™ is more popular than ever, annually drawing thousands of people to this major gallery event in the rural West Marin town of Point Reyes Station.
For THE BOX SHOW™, Gallery Route One distributes 150 identically sized wooden boxes to 150 artists and aspiring community members, all eager to interpret their art within this unique three-dimensional canvas. Two months later, an incredibly diverse exhibit of artwork occupies the gallery for six weeks. Silent bidding for the boxes occurs throughout the show using the “givi” app, and culminates in a dynamic virtual closing event that will be livestreamed on the GRO website Homepage on Sept. 12 at 3 p.m. This event will take us to the closing of the auction that happens at 4pm. Once bidding closes, the distribution of the winning boxes will begin!
THE BOX SHOW™ is not only a remarkable opportunity for artists to flex their creativity in their chosen medium and beyond; it is also a fundraiser for Gallery Route One’s outreach programs: the Latino Photography Project, the Artists in Schools, as well as exhibitions in the Project Space addressing environmental, immigration and social justice issues. And in this time of the pandemic, it will help with our operational costs as well.
Which box will be your favorite?
On View: July 31 – Sept. 12, 2020
Online Auction and In-Person Viewing by Appointment
- In-person viewing by appointment begins August 14. Book an online viewing appointment at www.galleryrouteone.org. You can also just stop by on Fri., Sat., or Sun and take your chances. A limit of 8 people may be in the gallery at a time.
- Join in the fun and participate in the online auction. Register here on this Qgiv page and you will be directed to download "givi" to your phone to view and bid on the boxes.
- You may also bid on a chance to create your own box art for next year’s show.
- Want to increase your chances to get into the Box Show? Buy a raffle ticket for only $1!
Saturday, September 12, 3-4 p.m.
- Join us at 3pm for a dynamic virtual closing event that will be livestreamed on the GRO website Homepage. Bidding Closes at 4pm. Once bidding closes, the distribution of the winning boxes will begin!
For more information on in-person viewing appointments, recorded weekly docent tours, and other video content please visit www.galleryrouteone.org.