Want to donate by check?
Donate using the button above or mail a contribution to:
RIP Medical Debt
80 Theodore Fremd Ave.
Rye, NY 10580
Earmark your donation for this campaign by including a note or by writing "The Jubilee Project" in the memo line of a check.
Who Is RIP Medical Debt?
RIP Medical Debt uses donations to purchase bundled medical debt portfolios that have gone through collection agencies for months or years. Using third-party credit data providers, it targets debt incurred by people facing financial hardship, and then forgives it. On average, $1 is leveraged to abolish $100 in medical debt.
Please see the full FAQ below and visit www.ripmedicaldebt.org for more information.
RIP Medical Debt's Federal Tax ID is 47-1442997.
Please Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions!
What is The Jubilee Project?
Injustice and suffering seemed to define 2020.
We want to begin 2021 with a jubilee.
1) A jubilee is a dessert set on fire.
2) A jubilee is a joyful celebration.
3) A jubilee is described in the Hebrew bible as a time of emancipation and restoration—one year out of every fifty where people would rest, land would be restored, slaves would be freed, and debts would be canceled.
We want all three of those things: a slightly dangerous but tasty dessert; ineffable joy; and a moment where no one is permanently crushed by debt.
We can’t make this true for everyone everywhere. But we can help make it true for some people. We can collectively act to bring hope, forgiveness, and relief to those in the greatest need.
As a result of seeking necessary medical care, millions of Americans have medical debt they can’t pay—hospital bills that are insurmountable, or medical charges to their credit cards that balloon over time. To make matters even worse: systemic racism + pandemic. The pandemic will surely mean that medical debt becomes even more pernicious for even more people this year. Medical debt was already disproportionately experienced by people of color--and we know that COVID-19 is also disproportionately affecting Black people in the U.S.
Your contribution of a single dollar can wipe away one hundred dollars of debt for someone who is suffering.
Join our jubilee to forgive over a million dollars of medical debt!
prashanti thompson made a donation to The Jubilee Project: A Community Campaign to Cancel Medical Debt
Cori Parker made a donation to The Jubilee Project: A Community Campaign to Cancel Medical Debt
$307.20 was donated to The Jubilee Project: A Community Campaign to Cancel Medical Debt
$350.00 was donated to The Jubilee Project: A Community Campaign to Cancel Medical Debt
ERIC FENNER donated $25.00 to The Jubilee Project: A Community Campaign to Cancel Medical Debt
- View More Recent Activity
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is RIP Medical Debt? RIP Medical Debt (RIP) is a national 501c3 nonprofit organization with a mission to empower donors to forgive the billions of dollars in oppressive medical debt at pennies on the dollar. RIP locates, buys, and abolishes destructive medical debt for individuals, veterans, and families. Since inception in 2014, RIP has relieved more than $2 billion in medical debt for individuals across the U.S., impacting over 1.7 million individuals.
How Does RIP Medical Debt Work? RIP, working with third-party credit data providers, searches through large debt portfolios to locate accounts meeting their criteria for relief. RIP then negotiates to buy millions of dollars of this debt at a steep discount, usually a penny or less on the dollar.
Facts about Medical Debt
- 42.9 million Americans have unpaid medical bills, which creates an adverse impact on debtor patients, physicians, and hospitals (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau)
- Six in 10 of both insured and uninsured people say they have difficulty in paying other bills as a result of medical debt. Over a third were unable to pay for food, heat or housing because of medical bills. (Kaiser Family Foundation & New York Times)
- Nearly two-thirds of U.S. adults under age 65, or 116 million people, had medical bill problems or debt, went without needed care because of cost, were uninsured for a time or were underinsured — insured but had high out-of-pocket medical expenses or deductibles relative to income. (Kaiser Family Foundation & New York Times)
- Medical debt contributes to more than 60 percent of the bankruptcies in the U.S. Until satisfied, debt lingers on a person’s credit report to negatively impact their ability to buy a home, get a loan or even gain employment. (The American Journal of Medicine)
Whose unpayable medical bills does RIP forgive?
- Individuals who make less than 2 times the federal poverty level
- Individuals with financial hardship -- 5% or more of their annual income goes to out-of-pocket medical expenses
- Individuals who are insolvent (debts greater to their assets)
Why Donate to RIP Medical Debt?
- Your dollar goes a long way! On average, $1 abolishes $100 of debt.
- 100 percent of your donation goes towards abolishing medical debt.
- RIP Medical Debt is a 501c3 nonprofit organization, and our EIN number is 47-1442997. Donations are tax-deductible as allowed by law.
- There are no tax consequences for those whose medical debts are forgiven. The forgiveness is a gift from a detached and disinterested third party (RIP) is an act of generosity, so forgiveness of the does not count as being income to the gift recipient.
RIP Medical Debt's Federal Tax ID: 47-1442997
Disclaimer: In the event that a campaign is unable to meet RIP Medical Debt's local campaign contribution goal, all funds will be attributed to our national funds for general medical debt.