Want to donate by check?
Donate using the button above or mail a contribution to:
RIP Medical Debt
80 Theodore Fremd Ave.
Rye, NY 10580
Earmark your donation for this campaign by including a note or by writing "VRDB" in the memo line of a check.
Who Is RIP Medical Debt?
RIP Medical Debt uses donations to purchase bundled medical debt portfolios that have gone through collection agencies for months or years. Using third-party credit data providers, it targets debt incurred by people facing financial hardship, and then forgives it. On average, $1 is leveraged to abolish $100 in medical debt.
Please see the full FAQ below and visit www.ripmedicaldebt.org for more information.
RIP Medical Debt's Federal Tax ID is 47-1442997.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about your donation.
Follow Us On TwitterTweets by @RIPMedicalDebt
About this Fundraiser:
Dear friends – With all that 2020 has thrown at us, we need new and impactful ways to support those who are in less advantaged positions than ourselves in a sustainable way.
Medical debt is a crisis for millions of U.S. Americans (disproportionally from the black community and other communities of color) and the COVID-19 crisis has worsened the situation even further. To cancel medical debt and give people some relief and peace of mind in an already difficult and burdensome situation will help people not just financially but also will give them the opportunity to focus a little on their overall health and well-being.
RIP Medical Debt allows us to help forgive large amounts of medical debt for pennies on the dollar. Every dollar donated goes towards buying up $100 in existing debt. Our goal is to eliminate $1.5 Million in debt by collecting $15,000 in donations.
Please donate what you can. Every bit helps.
Vivek Rao & Daniela Borchmann
Stephanie Brooks donated $50.00 to Vivek and Daniela’s Campaign to Abolish $1.5 M in Medical Debt
$52.00 was donated to Vivek and Daniela’s Campaign to Abolish $1.5 M in Medical Debt
Cara Pierson made a donation to Vivek and Daniela’s Campaign to Abolish $1.5 M in Medical Debt
- View More Recent Activity
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is RIP Medical Debt? RIP Medical Debt (RIP) is a national 501c3 nonprofit organization with a mission to empower donors to forgive the billions of dollars in oppressive medical debt at pennies on the dollar. RIP locates, buys, and abolishes destructive medical debt for individuals, veterans, and families. Since inception in 2014, RIP has relieved more than $2 billion in medical debt for individuals across the U.S., impacting over 1.7 million individuals.
How Does RIP Medical Debt Work? RIP, working with third-party credit data providers, searches through large debt portfolios to locate accounts meeting their criteria for relief. RIP then negotiates to buy millions of dollars of this debt at a steep discount, usually a penny or less on the dollar.
Facts about Medical Debt
- 42.9 million Americans have unpaid medical bills, which creates an adverse impact on debtor patients, physicians, and hospitals (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau)
- Six in 10 of both insured and uninsured people say they have difficulty in paying other bills as a result of medical debt. Over a third were unable to pay for food, heat or housing because of medical bills. (Kaiser Family Foundation & New York Times)
- Nearly two-thirds of U.S. adults under age 65, or 116 million people, had medical bill problems or debt, went without needed care because of cost, were uninsured for a time or were underinsured — insured but had high out-of-pocket medical expenses or deductibles relative to income. (Kaiser Family Foundation & New York Times)
- Medical debt contributes to more than 60 percent of the bankruptcies in the U.S. Until satisfied, debt lingers on a person’s credit report to negatively impact their ability to buy a home, get a loan or even gain employment. (The American Journal of Medicine)
Whose unpayable medical bills does RIP forgive?
- Individuals who make less than 2 times the federal poverty level
- Individuals with financial hardship -- 5% or more of their annual income goes to out-of-pocket medical expenses
- Individuals who are insolvent (debts greater to their assets)
Why Donate to RIP Medical Debt?
- Your dollar goes a long way! On average, $1 abolishes $100 of debt.
- 100 percent of your donation goes towards abolishing medical debt.
- RIP Medical Debt is a 501c3 nonprofit organization, and our EIN number is 47-1442997. Donations are tax-deductible as allowed by law.
- There are no tax consequences for those whose medical debts are forgiven. The forgiveness is a gift from a detached and disinterested third party (RIP) is an act of generosity, so forgiveness of the does not count as being income to the gift recipient.
RIP Medical Debt's Federal Tax ID: 47-1442997
Disclaimer: In the event that a campaign is unable to meet RIP Medical Debt's local campaign contribution goal, all funds will be attributed to our national funds for general medical debt.