Our Newest Participants
- View More Recent Activity
Virtual Walk to End Lupus Now - Milwaukee Leaderboard
- 1 Sarah Eiles $4,696.25 raised
- 2 Latish Reed $2,003.12 raised
- 3 Sarah Oberhofer $1,650.00 raised
- 4 Dawn Thomas-Semanko $1,341.00 raised
- 5 Jannie Prom $1,168.75 raised
- 1 Miles For Eiles $4,766.25 raised
- 2 Black Butterflies $2,003.12 raised
- 3 Danno's Wolfpack $1,848.75 raised
- 4 Jennie's Legacy $1,589.25 raised
- 5 Oops NO Loopus $1,471.75 raised
Virtual Walk to End Lupus Now - Milwaukee
We take the threat of the spread of COVID-19 very seriously, and would never expect anyone, much less anyone with a compromised immune system, to put themselves in a position that could further threaten their health. Our number one priority is the health and safety of our constituents.
LET'S DO THIS!! YOU ARE DOING GREAT... KEEP IT GOING!!
At its core, the Walk to End Lupus Now - Milwaukee is a celebration. Every one of the hundreds of people in attendance know, love, and support someone with lupus. It is a visual demonstration of our collective strength, a reminder that no lupus warrior is alone in their fight, a way to honor those who fight, and a way to remember those whose fight has ended. It is also, of course, a fundraiser. In fact, the Walk to End Lupus Now - Milwaukee is the biggest fundraiser that LFA, WI Chapter puts on every year. We rely on funds raised at the walk to keep our office operational, which allows us to fund research both locally and nationally, to provide support throughout the state, to advocate for policies and programs that benefit lupus warriors, to increase lupus awareness among the general public, and to keep lupus in the curriculum at Wisconsin’s premier medical schools.
Given the current state of heightened caution, recommendations from the CDC, and with concern for the health and safety of our community, we have made the decision that the Walk to End Lupus Now - Milwaukee WILL NOT take place as scheduled on May 9th, 2020 at Hoyt Park in Wauwatosa. We will proceed with the event as a virtual walk.
As we considered our options going forward, it was decided that proceeding on our current timeline was our best option. Many lupus warriors and their supporters have already pre-registered and started collecting donations. We know how much work goes into advocating, collecting pledges, putting together a team, and keeping momentum up until walk day. Indefinitely prolonging that period will lead to diminishing returns. Many organizations are postponing their events, making re-scheduling the walk for a later date logistically more difficult, and without knowing the course the spread of COVID-19 will take, we cannot guarantee that conditions will be considerably more favorable at any point in the future. Additionally, we have many programs and events scheduled in the coming months. While we will be monitoring recommendations from the CDC and adjusting our schedule accordingly, we hope to continue our event schedule with as few disruptions as possible.
What does a virtual walk look like and how can we make the Virtual Walk to End Lupus Now – Milwaukee a success?
We may not be able to gather in person on Saturday, May 9th at Hoyt Park, but we can still unite in spirit to raise awareness and celebrate the lupus warriors in our lives. Our timeline leading up to the Virtual Walk to End Lupus Now – Milwaukee is the same as that of a traditional walk. Use the following guidelines to make a safe and reasonable plan that works best for you, and we encourage you to get creative!
Continue your fundraising efforts
- Use this experience as an example to others of what it is like to live with a compromised immune system. Sharing your story increases awareness not only of lupus in general but also of the unique struggles faced by individual lupus warriors.
- Team medals and incentive prizes are still in effect for all walk participants. Continue collecting pledges and building your teams!
- This software makes it easier than ever to sign up, start or join a team, set goals, and track your progress.
- Facebook donations can now be tied to your fundraising page, making it even easier to reach and exceed your fundraising goals.
Magnify your Power and double your donation!
A generous anonymous donor has pledged to match all walk donations! We may not be able to physically gather, but we are united in our mission to fight lupus. This is HUGE NEWS! Let’s maximize this opportunity to show that together we are stronger than lupus.
Encourage people to pre-register
Not being able to attend the walk itself may discourage people from registering in advance. As there is no day-of-registration, pre-registering for the walk is more of a pledge of support. This can be a reminder to everyone that participating in the Walk to End Lupus Now - Milwaukee goes far beyond being physically present on walk day.
Make a plan for walk day
- In lieu of walk t-shirts, each pre-registered participant will receive a surprise gift via mail. Make a short video of yourself “walking” and showing off your gift. Post it on your social media, and send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can make a compilation. Let’s blanket our media feeds with awareness to show that we are united against lupus.
- Gather your team virtually: connect via FaceTime, Google Hangouts, or any other meeting/video conference app. The walk is a celebration of love and support for all lupus warriors. Get creative and find a way to be together from a safe social distance.
- Use this opportunity to connect with and include supporters who couldn’t otherwise participate on walk day. Engage friends and family who live in other areas of the country and world. Encourage people who would not normally pre-register because they cannot physically attend on walk day to join your team!
Remember, this is only temporary
Later this year, we are hoping to host a post-walk celebration for Team Captains with the largest teams and participants who raise the most in donations to distribute prizes and celebrate all the hard work you have done. While we are confident that we have made the best decision given the circumstances, we would much rather be at Hoyt Park on a beautiful spring day celebrating hope and strength with all of you.
While the Walk to End Lupus Now – Milwaukee is a fundraiser, we do understand that this news fundamentally changes the circumstances under which participants pre-registered. If you pre-registered for the Walk to End Lupus Now – Milwaukee prior to Wednesday, March 18, 2020, we will be contacting you to ask if you would like to remain a virtual walker or would like a refund of your registration fee. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com or call our office at (414) 443 6400.
Registration will be open online thru walk day.
Schlitz Audubon Nature Center
Third Space Brewing Company
- 540 ESPN Milwaukee Radio
Milwaukee Irish Fest
Women of Steel