Coronavirus Update: Earth Day 5K is Going Virtual!
Because of the very high likelihood that social distancing requirements will remain in place for the next month, this event is transitioning to a virtual race format.
During the week of Earth Day (April 18 - April 26), all registered participants will be able to run or walk the Earth Day 5K at a time and place of their choosing. As opposed to a traditional group racing event, a virtual race will provide the flexibility to practice social distancing while still allowing the opportunity to celebrate Earth Day and support WE ACT.
This exciting event will continue to feature:
- Free WE ACT membership for all registrants!
- WE ACT Earth Day t-shirt
- Awards for 1st Place finisher, top fundraising individual, and top fundraising team
The situation is fluid, and we will continue to monitor guidance from health officials closely leading up to the event. The health and safety of our participants, staff, and community remains our number one priority.
Support for community based organizations is needed now more than ever. By continuing to participate and fundraise for this event, you will be doing more than just celebrating Earth Day's 50th Anniversary. You'll directly support WE ACT's work to develop climate resilience for frontline communities Uptown and across the US.
If the “virtual race” concept is new to you, or you’d like further explanation, please check out our new virtual run FAQ. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have. To register for the virtual race, please click the link at right. All proceeds from the Earth Day 5K support WE ACT! If you can’t join us, please consider making a donation to support our work.
Interested in sponsoring this event? Questions? Please contact Samantha Doss with all inquiries at email@example.com.
- 1 Laura Simon-Pearson $349.00 raised
- 2 Anne Weisberg $230.00 raised
- 3 Mary Beth Terry $130.00 raised
- 4 Karen Mahrous $130.00 raised
- 5 David Evans $125.00 raised
- 1 WE ACT Board and Friends $405.00 raised
- 2 Sugar Hill Climbers $300.00 raised
- 3 BKC Rising $230.00 raised
- 4 Columbia Cancer Outreach and Engagement Team $160.00 raised
- 5 AIRnyc $125.00 raised
We empower and organize low-income, people of color to build healthy communities for all.
It is well-documented that some of the most polluted environments in America are where people of color live, work, play, and pray. WE ACT was started in 1988 when three fearless community leaders saw that environmental racism was rampant in their West Harlem neighborhood, and they demanded community-driven, political change. Today, the organization has grown to over 16 staff members and 2 locations in NYC and Washington, D.C., and is considered an active and respected participant in the national Environmental Justice Movement.
WE ACT’s mission is to build healthy communities by ensuring that people of color and/or low income residents participate meaningfully in the creation of sound and fair environmental health and protection policies and practices.
WE ACT envisions a community that has:
- informed and engaged residents who participate fully in decision-making on key issues that impact their health and community.
- strong and equal environmental protections.
- increased environmental health through community-based participatory research and evidence-based campaigns.
- View More Recent Activity