Focus on Afghanistan—Urgent Call for Help
Considered one of the poorest countries in the world, 72 percent of the population of Afghanistan currently lives in poverty. A number of factors contribute to this: political instability, food insecurity, dependence on foreign aid, and impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Participation of women in society and access to good education for girls is a continued area of concern. The country is also adversely affected by global warming, which has caused drought and led to loss of crops and livestock. Additionally, insecurity and violence has displaced millions of Afghan people, both inside and outside the country.
Islamic Relief’s Response to Current Situation for Families in Afghanistan and Refugees in the U.S.
IRUSA has made a commitment of $2.1 million to help people in Afghanistan and refugees arriving in the U.S. Through our regional offices in Kabul, Balkh, Herat, and Nangar-har provinces, we are working to distribute the following items:
- Food aid to those suffering from hunger
- Water storage units and hygiene kits to displaced families
- Essential non-food items, like cooking pots, utensils, pots, soaps and detergents, solar-powered lamps, towels, and more
- Family-sized emergency tents and the necessary tools for pitching
As Afghanistan experiences some of the worst food insecurity in the world, Islamic Relief (IR) Afghanistan continues to carry out regular food package distributions to families in need.
IR Afghanistan has begun winterization and health projects in the country with support from the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).
Furthermore, emergency relief items from IR Pakistan will be transported across the border for distribution. More information will be shared as it becomes available.
For Afghan families that are now in the United States, our teams are working with partners to reach families and provide them with support and essential items to help them as they arrive and transition to a life in our communities. Here are some of the ways we are working on these efforts now (and remember to stay tuned to this page for more information as it develops):
- Providing food aid including 10,000 food boxes containing nutrient-dense dry food items for resettled Afghan refugee families
- On arrival, we’re working with the United Way of the National Capital Area (NCA) to provide greeting/service orientations, transportation from the airport, interpreters, and pre-paid debit cards to purchase essential items
- Engaging our local refugee network to give much-needed resources that assist with local resettlement efforts
- Creating an IRUSA guide on religious and cultural sensitivities for Afghan refugees for use by other humanitarian organizations
- Distributing essential hygiene and sanitation items including hygiene kits, socks, underwear, soap, hand sanitizer, and masks
- Working with shelters and religious leaders to ensure newly-arriving families receive the sheltering, emotional care, spiritual care, and cultural items they need like the 500 prayer mats we delivered to Afghan refugee families
- We’re advocating and amplifying the voices of our Afghan brothers and sisters and you can get involved
- We’re also working to provide legal support and financial aid for refugee families in the near future
Your advocacy, volunteerism, and donations are how we can help support and get aid to Afghan families who are in desperate need right now. Click below to take action today, and stay tuned to this page for more information as it becomes available.
We Need YOUR Help
As much as we’ve been able to accomplish, there is still so much more to do. If we work together—with YOU—we can make the vision of better Afghanistan a reality for so many more of our sisters and brothers in need.
$75 can deliver hygiene and water storage kits for a displaced family in Afghanistan
$100 can provide essential non-food items to a displaced family in Afghanistan
$150 can send urgent food aid for a displaced family
$500 can implement livelihood programs to set up women-led households for success
$750 can provide a family with emergency shelter
Islamic Relief’s Dedication to Afghanistan
Islamic Relief USA has served in Afghanistan for more than 20 years, and continues to prioritize those in dire need in Afghanistan today.
Here’s just a sampling of our recent efforts for families in need across Afghanistan
- Implementing literacy, education, career, and business programs for women
- Providing orphan support and vocational training to open opportunities for success
- Delivering urgent flood relief to help families cope through harsh weather seasons
What happens when you join the fundraising movement?
When you make the decision to help fundraise for the effort, you go beyond just thoughts and prayers. This increased IMPACT is priceless, because it means we’re able to meet more needs of those who are waiting for us to lend a helping hand.
And if you're reading this message, it's because you want to go beyond the call the duty. For you, it's not enough to just keep those children in your thoughts and prayer. You want to double your impact by helping to sponsor these emergency efforts and helping deliver aid to those affected by creating a fundraising page. Get started by creating your page today!
We’re so glad you came. Just scroll to the top of the page and click "become a fundraiser" to setup your page and start promoting to your network via e-mail, social media, and your preferred messaging app. Even with a goal as small as $50, you can provide urgent food aid for families.
"The best among you are those who bring greatest benefits to many others"
Prophet Muhammad (Peace be Upon Him).
- 1 A Night For Giving Emergency Appeal $28,843.70 raised
- 2 Farah Ahmedy Nabi $5,224.11 raised
- 3 Abdur-Rahman Parekh $2,018.50 raised
- 4 Lema Finke $1,178.00 raised
- 5 Faiza Chowdhury $832.50 raised
- 6 Abdulsalam Mirza $600.00 raised
- 7 Yasmin Mogahed $407.20 raised
- 8 Maram Abdelhamid $305.90 raised
- 9 Fathima Humaira Abdul Hameed $302.25 raised
- 10 Kebba Bojang $250.00 raised
- 1 MN Fundraiser for Afghanistan $28,943.70 raised
- 2 Our Afghanistan, Our Love $8,454.58 raised
- 3 Team Orange County, CA $3,054.00 raised
- 4 Help the Afghans $1,178.00 raised
- 5 Emory Muslim Student Association $704.15 raised
- 6 Afghanistan Emergency $407.20 raised
- 7 University of North Texas Muslim Student Association $203.00 raised
- 8 Bay Area Friends $0.00 raised