John Mendesh donated $500.00 to Lord of Life Lutheran Church, Maple Grove, MN: Erasing Medical Debt for COVID Essential Workers
James Feeney made a donation to Lord of Life Lutheran Church, Maple Grove, MN: Erasing Medical Debt for COVID Essential Workers
Lord of Life Lutheran Church donated $6,200.00 to Lord of Life Lutheran Church, Maple Grove, MN: Erasing Medical Debt for COVID Essential Workers
- View More Recent Activity
About Our Fundraiser
Every day, 79 million Americans have to choose between paying medical bills and providing for basic needs like food and shelter. By erasing their medical debt, Lord of Life can remove this terrible choice for many. Imagine the joy and relief that happens when an essential worker opens a letter and finds forgiveness of their medical debt.
Last year we partnered with RIP Medical Debt to provide $1,560,562 in debt relief to 472 families in Texas and Arkansas (recent Lord of Life mission trip sites). We are leading another campaign to help reduce medical debt for those in need.
This year, RIP has created a pool that identifies Covid Essential Workers in dire need of medical debt relief. Lord of Life strongly supports our COVID-19 essential workers serving on the frontlines of the pandemic.
Each dollar you give to this campaign will erase $100 of medical debt for essential workers, those who have given of their time and talents to heal and keep us safe during this uncertain time.
How You Can Help
Our goal is to raise $50,000 from our Lord of Life community. This will allow us to erase over $5,000,000 in medical debt for low-income essential workers.
Every contribution will help bring us closer to our goal. We are grateful for your interest!
“I came home this week and found this letter on my doorstep saying that a medical debt I had from 2012 was paid off. I had a surgery in 2011 which led me to a lot of medical complications for the next 4 years of my life. I had health insurance the whole time, but the co-payments were high and I couldn’t keep up. I’m a registered nurse now and I’m working to help my patients through this horrible virus, it was incredibly nice to see that someone paid off one of my medical debts without me asking or applying for it.”
— VANESSA M., RN
RIP Medical Debt’s Solution: RIP Medical Debt uses donations to purchase bundled medical debt portfolios that have gone through collection agencies for months or years. Using third-party credit data providers, it targets debt incurred by people facing financial hardship, and then forgives it. On average, $1 is leveraged to abolish $100 in medical debt.
Please see the full RIP FAQ below and visit www.ripmedicaldebt.org for more information.
Want to make a donation by cash or check?
Please mail to to any cash or check (payable to "RIP Medical Debt") to the address below and make sure to notate on the memo line or letter that your gift is designated to "Lord of Life Helping COVID Heroes Campaign."
RIP Medical Debt / 80 Theodore Fremd Ave. Rye, NY 10580
Who is RIP Medical Debt? RIP Medical Debt (RIP) is a national 501c3 nonprofit organization with a mission to empower donors to forgive the billions of dollars in oppressive medical debt at pennies on the dollar. RIP locates, buys, and abolishes destructive medical debt for individuals, veterans, and families. Since inception in 2014, RIP has relieved more than $450 million in medical debt for individuals across the U.S., impacting over 250,000 individuals.
How Does RIP Medical Debt Work? RIP, working with third-party credit data providers, searches through large debt portfolios to locate accounts meeting their criteria for relief. RIP then negotiates to buy millions of dollars of this debt at a steep discount, usually a penny or less on the dollar.
Facts about Medical Debt
- More than $100 billion in unpaid medical debt every year has an adverse impact on debtor patients, physicians, and hospitals.
- 6 in 10 of both insured and uninsured people say they have difficulty in paying other bills as a result of medical debt. Over a third were unable to pay for food, heat, or housing because of medical bills.
- Nearly two-thirds of U.S. adults under age 65, or 116 million people, had medical bill problems or debt, went without needed care because of cost, were uninsured for a time, or were underinsured—insured but had high out-of-pocket medical expenses or deductibles relative to income.
- Medical debt contributes to more than 60% of the bankruptcies in the US. Until satisfied, debt
lingers on a person’s credit report to negatively impact their ability to buy a home, get a loan or evengain employment.
Whose unpayable medical bills does RIP forgive?
- Individuals who make less than 2 times the federal poverty level
- Individuals with financial hardship - a debt that that is 5% or more of their annual income
- Individuals who are insolvent (debts greater to their assets)
Why Donate to RIP Medical Debt?
- Your dollar goes a long way! On average, $1 abolishes $100 of debt.
- 100 percent of your donation goes towards abolishing medical debt in Alaska.
- RIP Medical Debt is a 501c3 nonprofit organization, and our EIN number is 47-1442997. Donations are tax-deductible as allowed by law.
- We have specific programs for veterans and active service members of the US military.
- There are no tax consequences for those whose medical debts are forgiven. The forgiveness is a gift from a detached and disinterested third party (RIP) is an act of generosity, so forgiveness of the debt does not count as being income to the gift recipient.
RIP Medical Debt's Federal Tax ID: 47-1442997