Thank you for visiting our event page. Whether you have a loved one with Down syndrome, are a caring community member, or are a business looking to partner, we're glad you're here! Scroll through this page to learn more about the 18th Annual Down Syndrome Awareness Walk, and consider joining us on September 29 for our awareness-themed party!
Olin Park Pavilion
1156 Olin-Turville Ct
Madison, WI 53715
Registration & Family Festival Begins. Lunch Service Begins.
Welcome Program and Walk Rally
Down Syndrome Awareness Walk
Raffle winners posted
|2:00pm||See you next year!|
Pre-register online until 12pm CST September 27, 2019.
Registration includes walk, t-shirt, family festival and lunch.
|Walk (ages 3+)||$15|
|Walk (ages 0-2)||Free|
|Individuals with Down syndrome||Free|
Register by Friday, September 6 at 11:59pm to be guaranteed a t-shirt on walk day.
All participants will receive a t-shirt (UNLESS you select that you do not want a t-shirt during registration), however, we try to order EXACT numbers so that no t-shirts are wasted. We may have a limited quantity of extra t-shirts available on walk day for those who register after September 6th or on walk day, but this is not guaranteed. If you do not receive a t-shirt on walk day, we will order you one after the walk!
While registration can be completed on site the day of the event, pre-registration is strongly encouraged. Registration will open at 11:00am.
T-shirt tables will be located near registration. Please designate ONE PERSON ONLY from your group or team to check in at registration, turn in all money, and pick up t-shirts.
Take Part in this Year's Event
1. Register Today!
2. Create/Join a Team or Register as an Individual: Create a team of co-workers, friends, and family members. Register online to create a personalized fundraising page with your story and photos, making it easy to grow your team and fundraise. Register as a virtual walker or launch your virtual team if you can't join us in person, and commit to run or walk in honor of your loved one with Down syndrome. If you don't want to create your own team, you can join an existing one or register as an individual!
3. Raise Funds: Set individual and team goals! Use the easy online fundraising tools to spread the word, or gather donations offline at family parties, work functions, or kids' sporting events. The Top 5 Fundraising Teams will receive prizes at the walk!
4. Celebrate! Enjoy the day and celebrate the opportunities you have created for individuals with Down syndrome and their families.
Launch a Virtual Team!
Back by popular demand, we will once again offer the option to register as a “virtual” walker. When you sign up for this option, you commit to run or walk in honor of your loved one with Down syndrome.
Your activity can be any distance you want: 3.21 miles or laps around your block, 321 yards or 21 miles. Get creative and have fun! Virtual walker registration includes a walk shirt, which we will mail to you (USA only). Register by Friday, September 6th to receive your t-shirt by September 29.
This year’s walk will be a special awareness theme, celebrating our amazing loved ones with Down syndrome. The walk will once again be held at beautiful Olin Park along the lake front. Get ready for another SPECTACULAR Family Festival including exciting event components for all ages: awesome music, inflatables, obstacle course, carnival games, face painting and tattoos, balloon animals, photo booth, activities and crafts, t-shirts, raffles, top fundraising prizes, and MORE! Don’t forget to join us for lunch, served all day.
18th Annual Down Syndrome Awareness Walk
21 Showcase & Awards Ceremony
Help us kick off the walk at 1:00pm with the Down Syndrome Awareness Walk Master of Ceremonies, Leigh Mills, evening news anchor at NBC15 news. We will host a showcase for individuals with Down syndrome of ALL ages. Participants will be featured in front of family and friends, while a few sentences about them are read.
We will then announce the winners of our raffles, and we will award prizes to our Top 5 Fundraising Teams!
18th Annual Down Syndrome Awareness Walk
The 18th Annual Down Syndrome Awareness Walk will be held rain or shine at 1:30pm. This is a leisurely walk through beautiful Olin Park. Rollerblades, skates, and pets are strictly prohibited.
Sign up for the Showcase!
We want YOUR loved one with Down syndrome to be featured in this year's Showcase! Individuals with Down syndrome of ALL ages are invited to walk in front of their family and friends and be recognized for their individual gifts and talents. Children who are not yet able to walk on their own may walk the red carpet with a parent, caregiver, or sibling - the more, the merrier!
Top Fundraising Prizes
The cut-off for donations that qualify for the Top Five Fundraising Prizes is 11:59PM on Saturday, September 28. All cash and check donations must arrive at the MADSS mailbox by noon on Thursday, September 26 to qualify. Or, to schedule a time to drop off donations, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have fantastic prizes for our top five teams, as well as lots of ways to win if you are NOT a top 5 team!
EARLY-BIRD SPECIAL: All teams who register by July 31st will have a chance to win their team name on their team shirts*! Each person who registers increases your chances. (*NOTE: team name will only be placed on individuals' shirts who register by t-shirt deadline of September 6)
TEAM SIZE: We will have special raffle drawings for all teams that register online, and teams with 10+, 25+, and 50+ members!
$500+: All teams that raise at least $500 will receive a Down Syndrome Awareness bracelet for each team member!
$1,000 by 9/6: Teams that raise $1,000 by Sep 6 and get a picture sign featuring YOUR child on the walk route
$1,000 by walk day: Special raffle
$2,500+: MADSS tote bag and shirt for the team captain
$5,000+: Teams that raise more than $5,000 will receive VIP treatment at the walk, including a tent with tables and chairs for your team
TOP FUNDRAISING PRIZES:
The top 5 teams will receive a sign to carry with them during the walk recognizing their achievements.
Our FIRST place team will receive a trip to NDSC conference in 2020!
- 1 Noah's Crew $21,918.25 raised
- 2 Kennedy's Wildflowers $6,794.40 raised
- 3 Coolman Coleman $3,642.70 raised
- 4 Alexa and Henry's Twin Takeover $3,061.25 raised
- 5 Mighty Mae $2,302.45 raised
- 6 JJ's Buddies $1,892.80 raised
- 7 Paul of Fame $1,616.00 raised
- 8 Chasey's Champs $1,500.00 raised
- 9 Marek’s Masked Movers $1,389.25 raised
- 10 Nolan’s Nation $1,147.05 raised
- 11 Emma’s Tribe $1,074.55 raised
- 12 Aug Dawg Pack $1,044.82 raised
- 13 Jacob's Heros $933.00 raised
- 14 Caleb's Crew $911.00 raised
- 15 Aurora Borealis $761.25 raised
- 16 Team Addie $672.50 raised
- 17 Caring4Caydence $670.10 raised
- 18 Little Ro's Peeps $560.55 raised
- 19 Terrific Thomas $527.50 raised
- 20 Team Ensley $525.25 raised
- 1 Paul Cordes $1,071.00 raised
- 2 Caleb blackburn $625.00 raised
- 3 Becky Bray $377.50 raised
- 4 Stacie Sheppard $255.00 raised
- 5 Thomas Henzler $215.00 raised
- 6 Jessica Schuster $215.00 raised
- 7 Jenny Achterberg $213.05 raised
- 8 Stacey Solomon $164.10 raised
- 9 Melissa Shutwell $142.05 raised
- 10 Laura Belanger Tess $115.00 raised
- 11 Katherine Wildman $115.00 raised
- 12 Kyong-Ae Hwang $115.00 raised
- 13 Mae Kechele $105.00 raised
- 14 Addie Michek $102.50 raised
- 15 Jen Dhein $92.50 raised
- 16 Melissa Mathieu $87.05 raised
- 17 Kaye Baus $75.00 raised
- 18 Kate Herrmann $66.25 raised
- 19 JULIE MILLER $65.00 raised
- 20 Andy Plautz $65.00 raised
The mission of the Madison Area Down Syndrome Society (MADSS) is to provide support to individuals with Down syndrome and their families while advancing acceptance, inclusion and opportunity for individuals with Down syndrome in South Central Wisconsin.
Our vision is to create a world where individuals with Down syndrome are valued as self-sufficient and contributing members of the greater society.
MADSS Programs & Services
MADSS hosts family fraternal events throughout our county support areas on a regular basis. Events include everything from bowling nights to family picnics to our annual holiday party. Check out our calendar to find upcoming events near you!
PROGRAMS & CLASSES
MADSS hosts recurring programming and classes, and partners with other organizations to bring classes to our members. Join us for a playgroup, swim lesson, or teen club at a location near you! Visit our calendar for upcoming programs.
PARENT'S FIRST CALL
MADSS supports new and expectant parents with resources and support in the moments that follow a diagnosis.
MADSS educates medical professionals on how to deliver a fair and compassionate Down syndrome diagnosis. In addition, MADSS offers continuing education opportunities on the latest information about Down syndrome.
MADSS hosts conferences and seminars to educate caregivers, medical professionals, and community members, including “Day with the Experts,” an annual conference on Down syndrome co-hosted with the Waisman Center. View our calendar for upcoming events.
LIFE ENHANCEMENT & COMMUNITY OUTREACHMADSS offers the Life Enhancement Program for families with a child with Down syndrome throughout our supported counties in order to help offset expenses. In addition, MADSS sends care packages to our families who are experiences a hospital stay.
MADSS hosts an annual Down Syndrome Awareness Walk to raise awareness of Down Syndrome throughout South Central Wisconsin. In addition, we engage the community through advertising campaigns and other awareness activities.
MADSS works hard to ensure that the voices of individuals with Down syndrome are represented in state and national policies. We are part of WIDSAC, the Wisconsin Down Syndrome Advocacy Coalition.