of your goal reached
- 1 Latham & Watkins $218,110.00 raised
- 2 WilmerHale $177,191.66 raised
- 3 Williams & Connolly $167,228.76 raised
- 4 Sidley $164,154.98 raised
- 5 Chemonics International $101,811.60 raised
- 6 Legal Aid's Supporters $100,454.42 raised
- 7 Kirkland & Ellis $92,674.37 raised
- 8 Fried Frank $85,906.07 raised
- 9 Skadden $81,945.66 raised
- 10 Steptoe $80,129.01 raised
- 11 Orrick $78,083.26 raised
- 12 Mayer Brown $73,807.01 raised
- 13 Kelley Drye $65,825.66 raised
- 14 Paul Weiss $62,028.93 raised
- 15 Crowell & Moring $61,361.36 raised
Follow us on Twitter and use hashtag #makingjusticerealTweets by @legalaiddc
Responding to the COVID-19 Crisis
The COVID-19 outbreak continues to evolve and is having a devastating impact on the lives of people around the world. At Legal Aid, we believe it is our role and responsibility during this time to prioritize protecting the health and well-being of our staff, volunteers, and visitors while providing the highest level of service to our clients possible and zealously advocating for the needs of our client community. Over the past several weeks, Legal Aid has:
- Won a preliminary injunction blocking the Trump Administration from changing a rule that would have kicked 13,000 DC residents (and nearly 700,000 Americans) off food stamps on April 1.
- Advocated for three pieces of emergency legislation passed by the DC Council on March 17, April 7, and May 5 that extended unemployment benefits, suspended evictions, provided mortgage and debt relief, and much more.
- Worked with hundreds of individual clients on a range of matters related to the pandemic, and expanded our community outreach efforts.
We are still at the beginning of this crisis, and the economic ramifications will likely hit our client community the hardest. Your support will provide individuals and families in DC with the legal assistance they need now and in the months ahead.
2020 Honorary Chairs
Carter Phillips and Virginia Seitz of Sidley Austin LLP are the Honorary Chairs of the 2020 Making Justice Real Campaign.
Mr. Phillips is Chair Emeritus of Sidley, and a partner in Sidley's Supreme Court and Appellate practice. He has argued 88 cases before the Supreme Court. He served as Assistant to the Solicitor General during the Reagan administration and clerked for Chief Justice Warren Burger on the Supreme Court.
Ms. Seitz is a partner in Sidley's Supreme Court and Appellate practice. She served as Assistant Attorney General of the Office of Legal Counsel during the Obama administration and clerked for Justice William Brennan on the Supreme Court and Judge Harry T. Edwards on the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
Making Justice Real Campaign
The Making Justice Real Campaign brings together thousands of people to support the mission of the Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia: to make justice real, in individual and systemic ways, for people in poverty in DC.
The Making Justice Real Campaign is the next evolution of the Generous Associates Campaign, which has raised millions for free legal assistance in DC since 1990.
Congratulations to our 2019 Top Teams!!
Congratulations to our 2019 Top Teams in each category! Click here to see the Top 5 in each category.