About Our Fundraiser:
This holiday season, The Mystery Hour wants to give back to the community in a big way. Since we can’t afford to Go Full Oprah and buy you all a car (yet), we’re trying something else.
- This starts with a bummer, sorry, but it gets better: Too many of our neighbors can’t pay off their medical debt, sometimes dealing with predatory collection agencies on top of struggling to make ends meet. In this country? In our state? (BUMMER!)
- The good news is: We can all help. We’re partnering with an organization called RIP Medical Debt, whose mission is to provide financial relief for people burdened by unpaid and unpayable medical bills.
- We can tell you more details about how it works, but here’s the short story: If we can raise ~$27,000, we’ll help forgive ~$2.7 million in debt for people most in need in 20 Ozarks counties. Together, we can do this. One small donation at a time. Talk about a Christmas miracle!
RIP Medical Debt’s Solution: RIP Medical Debt is a national 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization that buys and forgives medical debt. RIP Medical Debt uses donations to purchase bundled medical debt portfolios that have gone through collection agencies for months or years. Using third-party credit data providers, it targets debt incurred by people facing financial hardship, and then forgives it. On average, $1 is leveraged to abolish $100 in medical debt.
Please see the full RIP FAQ below and visit www.ripmedicaldebt.org for more information.
Want to make a donation by cash or check?
Please mail any cash or check (payable to "RIP Medical Debt") to the address below and make sure to notate on the memo line or letter that your gift is designated to "Mystery Hour Campaign."
RIP Medical Debt / 80 Theodore Fremd Ave. Rye, NY 10580
You can contact Jane Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about your donation.
Who is RIP Medical Debt? RIP Medical Debt (RIP) is a national 501c3 nonprofit organization with a mission to empower donors to forgive the billions of dollars in oppressive medical debt at pennies on the dollar. RIP locates, buys, and abolishes destructive medical debt for individuals, veterans, and families. Since inception in 2014, RIP has relieved more than $900 million in medical debt for individuals across the U.S., impacting over 300,000 individuals.
How Does RIP Medical Debt Work? RIP, working with third-party credit data providers, searches through large debt portfolios to locate accounts meeting their criteria for relief. RIP then negotiates to buy millions of dollars of this debt at a steep discount, usually a penny or less on the dollar.
Facts about Medical Debt
- 42.9 million Americans have unpaid medical bills, which creates an adverse impact on debtor patients, physicians, and hospitals (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau)
- Six in 10 of both insured and uninsured people say they have difficulty in paying other bills as a result of medical debt. Over a third were unable to pay for food, heat or housing because of medical bills. (Kaiser Family Foundation & New York Times)
- Nearly two-thirds of U.S. adults under age 65, or 116 million people, had medical bill problems or debt, went without needed care because of cost, were uninsured for a time or were underinsured — insured but had high out-of-pocket medical expenses or deductibles relative to income. (Kaiser Family Foundation & New York Times)
- Medical debt contributes to more than 60 percent of the bankruptcies in the U.S. Until satisfied, debt lingers on a person’s credit report to negatively impact their ability to buy a home, get a loan or even gain employment. (The American Journal of Medicine)
Whose unpayable medical bills does RIP forgive?
- Individuals who make less than 2 times the federal poverty level
- Individuals with financial hardship - 5% or more of their annual income goes to out-of-pocket medical expenses
- Individuals who are insolvent (debts greater to their assets)
Why Donate to RIP Medical Debt?
- Your dollar goes a long way! On average, $1 abolishes $100 of debt.
- 100 percent of your donation goes towards abolishing medical debt.
- RIP Medical Debt is a 501c3 nonprofit organization, and our EIN number is 47-1442997. Donations are tax-deductible as allowed by law.
- We have specific programs for veterans and active service members of the US military.
- There are no tax consequences for those whose medical debts are forgiven. The forgiveness is a gift from a detached and disinterested third party (RIP) is an act of generosity, so forgiveness of the
- does not count as being income to the gift recipient.
RIP Medical Debt's Federal Tax ID: 47-1442997
Disclaimer: In the event that a campaign is unable to meet RIP Medical Debt's local campaign contribution goal, all funds will be attributed to our national funds for general or veteran medical debt.
Winifred Nixon Family Fund donated $100.00 to Mystery Hour's Campaign to Abolish Medical Debt in Missouri
Giacomo Bologna donated $10.40 to Mystery Hour's Campaign to Abolish Medical Debt in Missouri
Spring Simpson made a donation to Mystery Hour's Campaign to Abolish Medical Debt in Missouri
Sunshine Hubbard donated $10.40 to Mystery Hour's Campaign to Abolish Medical Debt in Missouri
A donation was made to Mystery Hour's Campaign to Abolish Medical Debt in Missouri
- View More Recent Activity