About Our Fundraiser:
Medical debt is unlike any other debt. It's often the result of unforeseen circumstances like accidents, injuries, or unexpected illnesses. According to a Kaiser Health Tracking Poll in 2017, 45% of Americans said they’d have a difficult time paying an unexpected $500 medical bill. About 19% wouldn’t be able to pay it at all, while 20% would put it on a credit card and pay it over time. Others said they’d need to borrow money from a friend, a family member, a bank, or a payday lender. Currently 26% of Oklahomans have some kind of medical debt. These individuals are our friends and family….these are our neighbors. This could be us.
We believe RIP Medical Debt is doing God's work. Every dollar donated to this campaign will go to abolish medical debt fo
r families in 17 counties in northwest Oklahoma. When we reach our goal of $45,000, we will be able to pay off $4.5 million dollars in medical debt. For those who are burdened with unpayable medical debt, it can seem like facing a giant they can never hope to slay. We hope we can be David in the face of this Goliath, gathering small stones together to change the lives of those in our community. #BeTheDavid
RIP Medical Debt’s Solution: RIP Medical Debt uses donations to purchase bundled medical debt portfolios that have gone through collection agencies for months or years. Using third-party credit data providers, it targets debt incurred by people facing financial hardship, and then forgives it. On average, $1 is leveraged to abolish $100 in medical debt.
Please see the full RIP FAQ below and visit www.ripmedicaldebt.org for more information.
Want to make a donation by cash or check?
Please mail any cash or check (payable to "RIP Medical Debt") to the address below and make sure to notate on the memo line or letter that your gift is designated to "OUMC Campaign."
RIP Medical Debt / 80 Theodore Fremd Ave. Rye, NY 10580
You can contact Jane Lee at email@example.com with any questions about your donation.
Who is RIP Medical Debt? RIP Medical Debt (RIP) is a national 501c3 nonprofit organization with a mission to empower donors to forgive the billions of dollars in oppressive medical debt at pennies on the dollar. RIP locates, buys, and abolishes destructive medical debt for individuals, veterans, and families. Since inception in 2014, RIP has relieved more than $600 million in medical debt for individuals across the U.S., impacting over 250,000 individuals.
How Does RIP Medical Debt Work? RIP, working with third-party credit data providers, searches through large debt portfolios to locate accounts meeting their criteria for relief. RIP then negotiates to buy millions of dollars of this debt at a steep discount, usually a penny or less on the dollar.
Facts about Medical Debt
- 42.9 million Americans have unpaid medical bills, which creates an adverse impact on debtor patients, physicians, and hospitals (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau)
- Six in 10 of both insured and uninsured people say they have difficulty in paying other bills as a result of medical debt. Over a third were unable to pay for food, heat or housing because of medical bills. (Kaiser Family Foundation & New York Times)
- Nearly two-thirds of U.S. adults under age 65, or 116 million people, had medical bill problems or debt, went without needed care because of cost, were uninsured for a time or were underinsured — insured but had high out-of-pocket medical expenses or deductibles relative to income. (Kaiser Family Foundation & New York Times)
- Medical debt contributes to more than 60 percent of the bankruptcies in the U.S. Until satisfied, debt lingers on a person’s credit report to negatively impact their ability to buy a home, get a loan or even gain employment. (The American Journal of Medicine)
Whose unpayable medical bills does RIP forgive?
- Individuals who make less than 2 times the federal poverty level
- Individuals with financial hardship - 5% or more of their annual income goes to out-of-pocket medical expenses
- Individuals who are insolvent (debts greater to their assets)
Why Donate to RIP Medical Debt?
- Your dollar goes a long way! On average, $1 abolishes $100 of debt.
- 100 percent of your donation goes towards abolishing medical debt.
- RIP Medical Debt is a 501c3 nonprofit organization, and our EIN number is 47-1442997. Donations are tax-deductible as allowed by law.
- We have specific programs for veterans and active service members of the US military.
- There are no tax consequences for those whose medical debts are forgiven. The forgiveness is a gift from a detached and disinterested third party (RIP) is an act of generosity, so forgiveness of the
- does not count as being income to the gift recipient.
RIP Medical Debt's Federal Tax ID: 47-1442997
Disclaimer: In the event that a campaign is unable to meet RIP Medical Debt's local campaign contribution goal, all funds will be attributed to our national funds for general or veteran medical debt.
Okeene United Methodist Church donated $10,531.00 to Okeene United Methodist Church's Campaign to Forgive $4.5M of Medical Debt in OK
Brooke Williams donated $52.50 to Okeene United Methodist Church's Campaign to Forgive $4.5M of Medical Debt in OK
Mark Crenshaw donated $26.25 to Okeene United Methodist Church's Campaign to Forgive $4.5M of Medical Debt in OK
Kay Anderson donated $26.25 to Okeene United Methodist Church's Campaign to Forgive $4.5M of Medical Debt in OK
A donation was made to Okeene United Methodist Church's Campaign to Forgive $4.5M of Medical Debt in OK
- View More Recent Activity