Message from the campaign:
I CAN Relief, Harbor Country Mission, and Lake Street Community Church in Bridgman are partnering to abolish $3 million of medical debt for families in Berrien, Cass & Van Buren Counties who are in financial hardship. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. Jesus told us to help the poor and needy, and so we are. Paul tells us in Hebrews not to neglect to do good and to share what we have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.
We are providing an opportunity to others to participate in this effort through our fundraising campaign. You can partner with us and join in our mission by financially contributing to our campaign. According to Proverbs a generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.
Thank you for being a part of this relief!
RIP Medical Debt's Solution: RIP Medical Debt uses donations to purchase bundled medical debt portfolios that have gone through collection agencies for months or years. Using third-party credit data providers, it targets debt incurred by people facing financial hardship, and then forgives it. On average, $1 is leveraged to abolish $100 in medical debt, however in this region of Michigan we believe we'll be able to abolish $200 of debt for every $1 donate.
Please see the full RIP FAQ below and visit www.ripmedicaldebt.org for more information.
Who is RIP Medical Debt? RIP Medical Debt (RIP) is a national 501c3 nonprofit organization with a mission to empower donors to forgive the billions of dollars in oppressive medical debt at pennies on the dollar. RIP locates, buys, and abolishes destructive medical debt for individuals, veterans, and families. Since inception in 2014, RIP has relieved more than $450 million in medical debt for individuals across the U.S., impacting over 250,000 individuals.
How Does RIP Medical Debt Work? RIP, working with third-party credit data providers, searches through large debt portfolios to locate accounts meeting their criteria for relief. RIP then negotiates to buy millions of dollars of this debt at a steep discount, usually a penny or less on the dollar.
Facts about Medical Debt
- More than $100 billion in unpaid medical debt every year has an adverse impact on debtor patients, physicians, and hospitals.
- 6 in 10 of both insured and uninsured people say they have difficulty in paying other bills as a result of medical debt. Over a third were unable to pay for food, heat, or housing because of medical bills.
- Nearly two-thirds of U.S. adults under age 65, or 116 million people, had medical bill problems or debt, went without needed care because of cost, were uninsured for a time, or were underinsured—insured but had high out-of-pocket medical expenses or deductibles relative to income.
- Medical debt contributes to more than 60% of the bankruptcies in the US. Until satisfied, debt
lingers on a person’s credit report to negatively impact their ability to buy a home, get a loan, or even gain employment.
Whose unpayable medical bills does RIP forgive?
- Individuals who make less than 2 times the federal poverty level
- Individuals with financial hardship - a debt that that is 5% or more of their annual income
- Individuals who are insolvent (debts greater to their assets)
Why Donate to RIP Medical Debt?
- Your dollar goes a long way! On average, $1 abolishes $100 of debt.
- 100 percent of your donation goes towards abolishing medical debt.
- RIP Medical Debt is a 501c3 nonprofit organization, and our EIN number is 47-1442997. Donations are tax-deductible as allowed by law.
- There are no tax consequences for those whose medical debts are forgiven. The forgiveness is a gift from a detached and disinterested third party (RIP) is an act of generosity, so forgiveness of the debt does not count as being income to the gift recipient.
RIP Medical Debt's Federal Tax ID: 47-1442997