Thank you for visiting our event page. Whether you have a loved one with Down syndrome, are a caring community member, or are a business looking to partner, we're glad you're here! Scroll through this page to learn more about the FIRST Annual DSAW-Central Wisconsin Down Syndrome Awareness Walk, and consider joining us on September 29 for the event.
What Your Support Means
Funds raised at the Down Syndrome Awareness Walk support DSAW-Central Wisconsin's programs and services all year long, including:
- Fraternal Support and Programming
- DSAW Program Models
- Parent's First Call
- Medical Outreach
- DSAW-Family Services
- Educational Programming
- Awareness Programming
- Advocacy Services
Take Part in this Year's Event
1. Register Today!
2. Create a Team: Create a team of co-workers, friends, and family members. Register online to create a personalized fundraising page with your story and photos, making it easy to grow your team and fundraise. If you don't want to create your own team, you can join an existing one!
3. Raise Funds: Set individual and team goals! Use the easy online fundraising tools to spread the word, or gather donations offline at family parties, work functions, or kids' sporting events. The Top 5 Fundraising Teams will receive prizes at the walk!
4. Celebrate! Enjoy the day and celebrate the opportunities you have created for individuals with Down syndrome and their families.
The Walk will take place at Doepke Park & Shelter:
2200 S Mountain Rd, Wausau, WI 54401
Walk Registration and Check-In
12:00pm - 2:00pm
Lunch is Served
12:00pm - 3:00pm
Family Festival: inflatables, crafts, raffles, music, games, and more!
Walk Rally, Red Carpet Showcase, and Award Ceremony
|2:15pm||Down Syndrome Awareness Walk|
Raffle Winners Posted
|3:00pm||See you next year!|
Don’t miss our historic first event and the BIGGEST party in Central WI! The walk will feature exciting activities, including music, games, crafts, t-shirts, raffles, top fundraising prizes, and MORE! The Family Festival activities will take place from 12pm - 3pm.
21 Showcase & Awards Ceremony
Help us kick off the walk at 2:00pm! We will host our "21" Showcase where individuals with Down syndrome of ALL ages will get a chance to walk the red carpet in front of their family and friends. We will then announce the winners of our Top 3 Fundraising Team Prizes.
Down Syndrome Awareness Walk
Join us for our FIRST Annual Down Syndrome Awareness Walk! We walk to raise awareness, acceptance, and access for individuals with Down syndrome. The walk will be held rain or shine at 2:15pm. This is a leisurely stroll through Doepke Park. Rollerblades, skates, and pets are strictly prohibited.
Pre-register online until 12pm CST September 28, 2018.
Registration includes the Walk, t-shirt, family festival and lunch.
|Walk Participants with DS||Free|
|*Please note that all individuals need to register and sign the waiver|
Register by Thursday, September 6 at 11:59pm to be guaranteed a t-shirt on walk day.
All participants will receive a t-shirt, however, we try to order EXACT numbers so that no t-shirts are wasted. We may have a limited quantity of extra t-shirts available on walk day for those who register after September 6th or on walk day, but this is not guaranteed. If you do not receive a t-shirt on walk day, we will order you one after the walk!
While registration can be completed on site the day of the event, pre-registration is strongly encouraged.
Team Captains and individual participants can pick up t-shirts on walk day. Early pick-up times are TBD.
Top Fundraising Prizes
The teams with the top three fundraising totals will receive special prizes on walk day! In addition, we will have a prize for the best dressed team.
The cut-off for donations that qualify for the Top Three Team Fundraising Prizes is 11:59PM on Friday, September 28. All cash and check donations must be turned in to the walk committee by noon on Friday, September 28 to qualify.
Sign up for the "21" Showcase!
We want YOUR loved one with Down syndrome to be featured in this year's "21" Showcase! Individuals with Down syndrome of ALL ages are invited to walk the red carpet in front of their family and friends and be recognized for their individual gifts and talents. Children who are not yet able to walk on their own may walk the red carpet with a parent, caregiver, or sibling - the more, the merrier!
- 1 Dental Options - Dr. Bearjar $2,110.00 raised
- 2 Benji & His Jets $1,211.25 raised
- 3 Team Emmacado $1,129.50 raised
- 4 Team Huntourage $770.00 raised
- 5 Nothing Down About Henry $768.90 raised
- 6 Everlly's Crew $765.00 raised
- 7 Braxton's Team Balboa $732.00 raised
- 8 Teddy’s Tribe $513.25 raised
- 9 Emma’s Entourage $440.00 raised
- 10 Kayden's Crew $376.25 raised
- 11 North Central Stars $355.00 raised
- 12 A-team $330.00 raised
- 13 Laurel's LaLa Land $233.75 raised
- 14 Jeremiah's French Fries $222.50 raised
- 15 Carter’s Crew $220.00 raised
- 16 Hello, Hunter! $218.00 raised
- 17 Corbin’s Croods $211.25 raised
- 18 Vanessa Poole $200.00 raised
- 19 Team Max and Katie $142.50 raised
- 20 Team Fionna $80.00 raised
- 1 Jami Kloth $190.00 raised
- 2 Jessica Raschka $161.25 raised
- 3 Aaron Munz $161.25 raised
- 4 Kristina Raschka $151.50 raised
- 5 Chelsey Strack $149.75 raised
- 6 Hunter Staskiewicz $115.50 raised
- 7 Teana Clark $115.00 raised
- 8 Tracie Quade $115.00 raised
- 9 Brenda Erickson $110.00 raised
- 10 Nathan Bearjar-Bindel $100.00 raised
- 11 Jeremiah Stieber $77.50 raised
- 12 Alice Soulier $62.50 raised
- 13 Vanessa Poole $60.00 raised
- 14 Jenna Munz $60.00 raised
- 15 Melissa Smazal $60.00 raised
- 16 Sam Erickson $52.00 raised
- 17 Nicole Fuller $40.00 raised
- 18 Nicole Yunk $36.25 raised
- 19 Holly Swanson $35.00 raised
- 20 Kathie Michelkamp-Bindel $30.00 raised
Who We Are
There are more than 8,000 people in Wisconsin with Down syndrome. Over the course of the year, DSAW touches the lives of more than 4,500 of these individuals and their families through the provision of services, education, resources, and support. DSAW is able to make a difference in thousands of lives because of the incredible support of our community. We are a 28-year-old volunteer driven organization -- we have more than 800 volunteers across the state!! It is their energy and passion that fuels our mission forward. \
Why We Walk
Our Down Syndrome Awareness walks, which occur across the State of Wisconsin each year, draw more than 7,000 walkers, volunteers, donors, sponsors, and partners across the State under one collective mission -- to raise awareness and promote inclusion, diversity, and acceptance of people with Down syndrome and other special needs in our communities and in our lives. At DSAW we strive to guarantee access to a full life for all through education, information, programs, services, and the exchange of ideas and experiences. For the past 22 years, the Annual Awareness Walks have been the key fundraising mechanism that allow us to enter and serve communities across the state to help individuals and families with special needs prove they are stronger than the obstacles they face. Your support strengthens our programs, and our resolve.
We walk to tell their stories. That our children are remarkably gifted, talented and beautiful creations. We walk because, our sons and daughters battle every day for the same liberties that are so often taken for granted by our society. We walk to create new programs and services in under-served communities. We walk to tell our stories to the world. DSAW is 100% funded by private individuals and concerned corporate citizens and foundations who believe just as we do that with appropriate investment and just the right amount of supports, our loved ones can accomplish amazing things!