How to Get Involved
Thank you for your interest in abolishing veterans medical debt! Please learn more about RIP Medical Debt through the information available on this page. To get involved, you can make a donation or register to become a fundraiser and raise donations with your network with the buttons below or at the bottom of the page (there is no fee to register as a fundraiser).
National Campaign to Abolish Medical Debt
The Cure for Medical Debt: Combining compassion and expertise, RIP Medical Debt empowers donors to forgive billions in oppressive medical debt for pennies on the dollar.
Who We Are: RIP Medical Debt is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that locates, buys, and forgives medical debt across America, the only industrialized nation on earth with personal medical debt. We work on behalf of individual donors, philanthropists, and organizations to relieve oppressive medical debt.
The Problem: In the UK, Japan, Taiwan, France, Norway, Germany, the Netherlands, and Switzerland, not a single person claimed bankruptcy due to medical bills between 2011 and 2017.
More than 60% of bankruptcies in America have medical debt as a root cause.
Medical debt is ravaging large segments of the American population. It’s the new debtor’s prison, targeting the most vulnerable of our communities: the sick, elderly, poor, and veterans.
RIP’s Solution: RIP Medical Debt uses donations to purchase bundled medical debt portfolios that have gone through collection agencies for months or years. Using third-party credit data providers, RIP targets debt incurred by people facing financial hardship, and then forgives it. On average, $1 is leveraged to abolish $100 in medical debt.
Join the movement to abolish $1 billion in medical debt by 2020: Since inception, RIP donors have relieved over $600 million of medical debt, impacting more than 250,000 individuals and families facing medical and financial hardship.
RIP Medical Debt is unique in its expertise but need continued support from generous donors. Compassion drives the work of RIP Medical Debt and every dollar is highly leveraged with a ROI of 100:1. Let’s abolish medical debt together. For good.
Please see the rest of the FAQ below and visit www.ripmedicaldebt.org for more information.
Facts about Medical Debt
- More than $100 billion in unpaid medical debt every year adversely impacts debtor patients, physicians, and hospitals.
- 6 in 10 of both insured and uninsured people say they have difficulty in paying other bills as a result of medical debt. Over a third were unable to pay for food, heat, or housing because of medical bills.
- Nearly two-thirds of U.S. adults under age 65, or 116 million people, had medical bill problems or debt, went without needed care because of cost, were uninsured for a time, or were underinsured—insured but had high out-of-pocket medical expenses or deductibles relative to income.
- Medical debt contributes to more than 60% of the bankruptcies in the US. Until satisfied, debt lingers on a person’s credit report to negatively impact their ability to buy a home, get a loan or evengain employment.
Whose unpayable medical bills does RIP forgive?
- Individuals who make less than 2 times the federal poverty level
- Individuals with financial hardship - a debt that that is 5% or more of their annual income
- Individuals who are insolvent (debts greater to their assets)
Why Donate to RIP Medical Debt?
- Your dollar goes a long way! On average, $1 abolishes $100 of debt.
- 100 percent of your donation goes towards abolishing medical debt.
- RIP Medical Debt is a 501c3 nonprofit organization, and our EIN number is 47-1442997. Donations are tax deductible as allowed by law.
- We have specific programs for veterans and active service members of the US military.
- There are no tax consequences for those whose medical debts are forgiven. The forgiveness is a gift from a detached and disinterested third party (RIP) so forgiveness of the debt does not count as income for the gift recipient.
RIP Medical Debt's Federal Tax ID: 47-1442997
Donate or sign up to fundraise below!
- View More Recent Activity