Your fundraising changes the world for individuals and families impacted by mental illness fueling cutting-edge research and critical services. YOU can be a fundraising powerhouse – just use these tips to take advantage of the many resources available and aim for the stars!
1. Know your networks – Give friends, family, neighbors, acquaintances and co-workers an opportunity to get involved and help you reach your goal – you never know who might donate to honor a connection to mental illness or who might be inspired to join your team.
I send a letter to professionals to whom I give a lot of business (my vet, my doctors, the dealership where I bought my last car, etc) – they often have a budget to show appreciation to their customers and give back to the community. – Shelly Smith
2. Aim high – Set a goal that seems just out of reach. It will inspire you and the people you're asking for support.
3. Give to yourself – You'll show people this mission matters to you and kickstart your fundraising.
Donate a dollar to yourself now and then so that your total doesn't end in a '0' or '5'. People will tend to add 4 dollars to their donation to round out the number. Works every time! – Mark Fench
4. Set up your fundraising page to tell your story – Within the fundraising dashboard, you have your very own web page. Be sure to customize it with your story and your pictures. Tell people why the NAMI Conencticut Walk matters to you.
5. Educate – You're not only raising funds, you're raising awareness about mental illness. People may have questions, you can always direct them to the NAMI Connecticut website for more information www.namict.org
6. Share your progress – Let people know where you stand and ask them to help you reach your goal.
7. Go mobile on iOS/Android – Upload a selfie to your favorite social network and challenge your friends and family to support you. Stay connected to your fundraising on the go.
8. Get social and creative! – Setup a Facebook Fundraiser and engage your friends. Share facts about mental illness and give public shout outs to those that support you.
9. Double your impact with matching gifts – Many companies offer matching gifts for employees as well as loyal customers. Ask your donors to check if their company has a matching gift program that they can utilize.
10. Start now! – There's no time like the present. And results show the sooner you start, the more you'll raise. Give people the opportunity to give, and don't be afraid to ask again.
Ask EVERYONE you know to donate. Most will and surprisingly [it's] those you least expect. – Tammy Bolls