The International March to Stop Rape, Sexual Assault & Gender Violence
WHEN: Saturday, July 24, 11:00 A.M. - 1:00 P.M.
WHERE: Cuddy Family Midtown Park
About Walk a Mile:
Put Yourself in Her Shoes™
Since 2001, men, women, and their families around the world have joined award-winning Walk a Mile in Her Shoes®: The International Men's March to Stop Rape, Sexual Assault & Gender Violence. It is a fun opportunity to raise awareness in our community about the serious causes, effects, and remediations to sexualized violence.
EVERYONE is Welcome!
In reality, sexual trauma occurs in our neighborhoods and in our families regardless of race, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or economic status. Sexual trauma can happen to any gender. We recognize that this event began as an event for men, however, we have made it inclusive because this issue does not discriminate, and neither do we. Everyone, regardless of gender, is welcome to register for our Walk.
What are Walk Events?
There is an old saying: "You can't understand another person's experience until you've walked a mile in their shoes." To get people listening, learning, and talking, Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® education Events organize around people literally walking one mile in high-heeled shoes. It's not easy walking in these shoes, but it's an experience around which a lot of education, self-reflection, and change happens. It's impressive to see such a visually stunning public statement of listening, learning, allyship, and commitment. It's an engaging event that gets the community talking about sex and gender biases, gender identity, gender relations, and sexualized violence.
Prevention Education and Action
We must talk about the causes, effects, and solutions to ending men's sexualized violence. We must educate ourselves and others, examine the sexual and gender biases that seed sexualized violence, and inoculate ourselves and our cultures.
2021 Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® Leaderboard
- 1 Richard Boothby $325.00 raised
- 2 Safety Bear $275.00 raised
- 3 Matthew Hall $225.00 raised
- 4 Shawn Davies $125.00 raised
- 5 Bryan Barlow $125.00 raised
- 1 Department of Public Safety $2,165.00 raised
- 2 Spring Creek Correctional Center $1,000.00 raised
- 3 Anchorage Police Departmnet $850.00 raised
- 4 Anchorage Fire Fighters Union Local 1264 $275.00 raised
- 5 Petty Boop $250.00 raised
How To Participate
- Register here and set up your personal and/or team fundraising page.
- Solicit donations and raise as much as you can for the cause!
- Come to Cuddy Park to on July 24th. Check in starts at 11:00 AM. There will be some high heels available to use or you can bring your own.
- There will be a brief presentation at 11:45 and the walk will begin at noon.
- Walk a mile in your high-heels!
- Stick around for the awards to find out who raised the most money, who was the fastest and who has the best shoes.
See the participant's guide for more details.