*EVENT IS ON RAIN OR SHINE*
Online registration is now closed. Registration day of the event will be available on-site.
Date: Saturday, October 8
Location: Lake Elmo Park Reserve - South Shelter
1515 Keats Avenue North, Lake Elmo, MN 55042
Schedule of Events:
- 10:00am: Check-In & Registration Begin
- 11:00am: Welcome Announcements, Memorial Event, Group Photo
- 11:15am: Walk Begins
- 12:15pm/12:30pm: Raffle & Silent Auction Bidding Close, Winners Announced, Closing Comments
Captains: Pamela Fear and Kaitlin Fear - email@example.com
Visit our Facebook event page: https://fb.me/e/28QoxqtkN.
If you would like to include a photo of your loved one on our Memorial/Honor Display at the walk, please send a digital photo to firstname.lastname@example.org. Photos need to be submitted by September 24 to be included on the display.
This year’s walk will include a food truck serving breakfast items, coffee, and more! We will also feature a photo booth for you to create a fun keepsake, a raffle & silent auction, lawn games, and more! Tell your friends and invite your family, so that together we can spread awareness and help find a cure for this fatal, rare disease.
PARKING: Vehicle permits are required on all vehicles entering the park. Daily passes are $7 per vehicle. Please purchase a permit when you enter the park. (If you have an annual park pass/sticker for Washington or Anoka County, you do not need a daily permit.) An electronic pay station is installed at the park entrance. These pay stations only accept credit cards, or you can pay with cash or credit card inside the park office.
- Register by Wed., Aug. 24th, 11:59pm ET to receive a free Strides for CJD t-shirt with your registration.
- Registration costs $30 for adults and $20 for children 12 and under thru Thurs., Sept. 15th, 11:59pm ET. After that, costs jump to $35 for adults and $25 for children 12 & under.
- Online registration ends Thursday, 12:00pm ET the Thursday before your event. After that, you can register on-site the day of your event.
The Fear Family Hosts Strides for CJD Minneapolis In Honor Of Their Father. Minneapolis Strides for CJD is in memory and support of all those affected by CJD.
In December 2013, Chuck Fear began noticing symptoms such as violent dreams, numbness/tingling in his feet, and insomnia. Symptoms continued to worsen until he decided to make an appointment in early April. Doctors initially thought he had mercury toxicity, and he was treated with chelation therapy, yet symptoms persisted. Doctors ordered more testing that came back normal until he received a diagnosis in June for the genetic form of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD), a neurodegenerative disease that has no cure. CJD, a “prion” disease, is caused by misfolded proteins in the brain, called prions.
“Our lives quickly changed as his symptoms worsened. I saw my dad change both physically and mentally within a very short period of time. He was a completely different person with CJD,” said Olivia Fear, Chuck’s daughter. “Everything fell apart so fast that it felt almost impossible to keep up with him. From his extreme mood swings, struggling to get him out of a chair, and helping him walk, and memory loss. In October, he was moved to hospice care and stayed there until his passing on November 17, 2014.” He was just 45 years old.
His grandfather had died from CJD in 1983 at the age of 70, and other members of his family are suspected to have died from CJD, as well.
This October, Olivia’s family is hosting their 7th Strides for CJD event so no one has to go through what her family has dealt with. Her hope is to help find a cure before anyone else in her family is affected.
Strides for CJD is an annual walk/run that hosted by families affected by CJD all across the country during the first two weekends of October.
For Olivia, the event is an annual tribute to her father’s life, gathering of other community members who have had a devastating experience with prion disease, and fundraiser to support the battle against CJD.
In 2019 the Minneapolis Strides for CJD had nearly 150 people in attendance. Due to coronavirus, the event has been virtual for the past two years and Olivia looks forward to seeing participants in person again.
Text to Give
To donate to Strides for CJD - Minneapolis text Strides2022 minneapolisstrides to 50155.
Donations of $250 and above are considered sponsorships.
- Diamond: $10,000
- Platinum: $5,000
- Gold: $1,000
- Silver: $500
- Bronze: $250
Diamond and Platinum Sponsors will have their name or logo displayed on participant t-shirts, the Strides for CJD website, and signage. Gold Sponsors will have their name or logo displayed on the Strides for CJD website, and will have their name listed on participant T-shirts and signage. Silver and Bronze Sponsors will have their name listed on the Strides for CJD website only.
- Strides '22 Minneapolis Cash-Donations November 2022 $5.00
- Strides '22 Minneapolis Cash-Donations November 2022 $3.00
- Nadia Allen October 2022
- 3M In support of the family of Pam and Chuck Fear October 2022 $125.00
- Jeff Nelson In support of the family of Pam and Chuck Fear October 2022 $132.50
- View More Recent Supporters
- Mark VanHolland August 2022 $1,060.00
- Shannon Johnson August 2022 $1,060.00
- Brian Lavin Honoring Chuck August 2022 $1,060.00
- Diane Fear In memory of my son, Chuck Fear, and my dadf5., Frank Pustek August 2022 $1,000.00
- Pamela Fear July 2022 $1,000.00
- View More Top Donors
of your goal reached
Please Help Us Get Sponsors!
Print THIS LETTER and give it to your employer, local businesses, or corporations.
Furst Clockers (Aaron Furst)